Sunday, January 8, 2012
guatemala
It's In The Way We Live.
Spending the holidays in Guatemala would truly be a time we'll never forget.
By saying, "Adios" to winter would give us an opportunity to unplug and reset.
Strangers soon turned into friends even though we travelled from near and far.
We saw you away from your cares and worries- we saw you how you really are.
The bumpy ride the the Polochic; learning a Q'eqchi phrase or two.
Our breaths were taken away by the serene and unbelievable view!
We set up camp in Sepamac- our new home for the week.
We were greeted so warmly by the village causing emotion one can barely speak.
CHOICE always says, "It's not about the projects. It's about the people!" This I would have to agree.
For when I watched you interact this week, here are a few things I did see.
McKade, Bridger and Sawyer played Uno and soccer in the mud.
Bo was mistaken for a local, and in turn, found Edgar his new best bud!
Jon Bischoff and Wayne worked on the school, dug trenches, mixed and hammered.
Claire as the waiting room entertainment had the children (and all of us) quite enamoured.
Jon and his quiet confidence I think surprised us all-
when he suddenly became Spiderman, and scaled up many a wall!
The England family was a force for good- this I have no doubt!
The locals could count on our fearless Dental team if they needed some teeth cleaned or pulled out.
It was no matter if we filled bags of dirt, painted or hiked up a muddy mile.
Kathi and Karen were there with their youthful spirit and made each one of us smile!
We jammed nightly to zumba routines! Some participated, some just cheered.
I think I overheard some Q'eqchi men say, "Those gringos sure are weird!"
You shared your talents to kids on the road and high up in the trees.
And as for Emily, Lexi and Live...fingers crossed they made it to Belize!
YOU are the tools to end poverty! For the world and for yourself.
What you learned this week- place it in your heat; don't let it get dusty on the shelf.
There is an old Mayan phrase, "In L'akash" which means, "You are a reflection of me."
Remember that when we part and to our many homes we will flee.
I saw goodness and joy in each of you; Thank You for sharing a piece of your soul.
Guatemala, thanks to you, has been epic! Yeah, that's just how we roll!
(Written by Sarah J. Worlton)
January 1, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comment:
so jealous! Sounds amazing! xoxo
Post a Comment