Chapter six in Preach My Gospel is devoted to developing Christlike attributes. A close friend of mine was inspired to tell me about this chapter and to encourage me to focus on developing these in my life. What a great way to start out 2011.
FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST
HOPE
CHARITY AND LOVE
VIRTUE
KNOWLEDGE
PATIENCE
HUMILITY
DILIGENCE
OBEDIENCE
I have chosen to work on Patience first. I am a very impatient person. If I want something, I usually get it. I eat what I want, when I want. I hate waiting. I'm usually in a hurry. Mostly though, I want to know the end from the beginning. I hate the unknown. I want to know everything. I want to know what's going to happen and how it's going to happen and when.
President Monson said, "Life is full of difficulties, some minor and others of a more serious nature. There seems to be an unending supply of challenges for one and all. Our problem is that we often expect instantaneous solutions to such challenges, forgetting that frequently the heavenly virtue of patience is required."
Dieter Uchtdorf said, "Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well! ...Patience is a godly attribute that can transform ordinary men and women into saints and angels. Patience is truly a fruit of the Spirit. Patience means staying with something until the end. It means delaying immediate gratification for future blessings. It means reining in anger and holding back the unkind word. Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace, and faith. It means being 'willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [us], even as a child doth submit to his father.' Ultimately, patience means being 'firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord' every hour of every day, even when it is hard to do so. Patience is a process of perfection. Patience means to abide in faith, knowing that sometimes it is in the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow the most."
Looking back on the experiences of my life, I know that the Lord's time is the best time. He knows much better than I do, so why do I want my plan to happen so badly? If I could focus more on the Lord's plan for me, I would be much more patient. He knows what's best for me. He knows when the best time is for things to happen in my life. He has promised me many things. Patience is what I need now.
For those of you reading this blog post: you seriously should go and read chapter six in Preach My Gospel. And as for me, I'll be working on my patience.
1 comment:
Love it!! Needed this. xoxo
Post a Comment